Oasis Interviews Archive

A shitload of interviews from all the various members of Oasis and selected associates from the start of their career right up to the present day. These transcripts have been taken from various websites, forums and newsgroups over the years. Credit goes to those people who took the time to put these words online.

Thursday, October 11, 2001

Noel Gallagher - XFM - 11th October 2001

So Noel, what does Liam do when you’re singing?
I think he probably stands behind me going like that (acts out a Liam look). He has a cigarette and moans about having a sore throat, or a cup of coffee and moans about burning his mouth!

You’ve been playing some new material on tour. Tell us more
"It's the first time we've played new stuff before it's been released; it's like give it up man. Why do it? I don't know. If it was solely up to me, I wouldn't do it. But we're part of a new group..."

Any idea of a release date yet?
"We start mixing what we're doing on Monday. We were supposed to have it finished by now, but we didn't have a producer. We were gonna go for a week, mix up what we've got, and then just start back up. I think at the last count, there was over 20 songs written, and while we've been rehearsing, a few more came up. We're drifting a bit but we'll get there. Slowly but surely and bring someone in to finish it off."

So in the ‘new group’, who writes the material?
"Liam writes his own songs, Gem writes his own songs, Andy writes his songs and I write my songs. So I don't think anyone is collaborating, but the majority of songs looks like its gonna be mine, with a couple each of the others, but we can't decide whether to get PG tips or Tetleys! I mean, can you imagine me & Liam writing a song!? But if you look at the big picture, I've learnt to concentrate on doing one thing at a time. At the moment the tour is the most important thing, so I'm thoroughly enjoying it at the moment."

When did you get your enthusiasm for the band back?
"Not too sure. You've got a certain sense of responsibility to the fans. I don't think I've ever really considered leaving. They're the lads (the band), so I don't know what I'd do without them. I'm happier now then I've ever been."

Kylie has been named the Queen of Pop. Do you like her?
"She's quite unnecessary. I can't think of one good reason why, y'know, "An Audience with Kylie!" Just check her name out. Say it a few times... Kylie Minogue... Funny! What's it mean? 'I Should Be So Lucky?' You can say that again!"

You’ve always been outspoken, haven’t you?
"I don't think I'm that outspoken. I only think that I'm telling the truth; I don't think I've ever said anything that outrageous. Journalists don't deserve the truth. I've done interviews, and say you've done an hour’s interview, for 55 minutes about the band, music, etc, and five minutes about drugs and the wife, the five minutes at the end become the interview. I just say when I don't want to answer, ‘no comment’. I can't shut my mouth!"

What did you make of the Parkinson interview with Posh and Becks?
"I got asked to do Parkinson. I said ‘Look, Parkinson? I don't know really’. Their producers said, alright we'll send the questions in advance, so you can work out your answers. I mean, what's the point in that? Y’see Beckham & his missus, had three weeks... for that!"

What do you think of Becks then?
"The England captain is beyond world class, but David Beckham... sort it out. (In the England game) He was the only one who could be arsed. Can you imagine standing in front of that ball, last kick of the game. You've got to give it to him. He would have been back to where he was before (after the Argentina game in '98). But the man in the paper is a knob. The guys got a moustache man! Not a beard, but a little underneath, one of them like Errol Flynn! Next he'll be wearing green tights!

Will Oasis be writing England’s World Cup song?
"Absolutely not. If we do anything, it'll be for the Republic of Ireland. If England played the Republic of Ireland I'd support Ireland. It's Roy Keane. I hate him cause he's at Man U, but when he joins Celtic, I'll be straight up there for his autograph! If anyone's listening to this from the Irish FA, half a million grand and we’ll do it for you!"

Do you think you’ll ever go solo?
"I think eventually I will do as it would be rude to pass away without a solo record. One day it'll happen as at one point Liam will get hospitalised, or get nicked, so I'll do my dub reggae triple album! So if there's a copper listening who's remotely a fan, nick him, and you'll get a solo record!"

Finally, are Oasis still the best band in the world?
"Still the best band in my world."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home